Here, There be a Writer

Friday, April 25, 2014

Day #25 - Violin and Anaphora Poetry

Today's prompt is using the concept of Anaphora in a poem. It can be about anything, but it must utilize the repetition of a phase to emphasize a point being made. The definition of an anaphora (as defined by Merriam-Webster) is repetition of a word or expression at the beginning of successive phrases, clauses, sentences, or verses especially for rhetorical or poetic effect <Lincoln's “we cannot dedicate—we cannot consecrate—we cannot hallow—this ground” is an example of anaphora>

The most famous examples of anaphora in poetry in Allen Ginsberg's poem "Howl" and the song "Turn, Turn, Turn" by The Byrds.

When You Listen

http://lonelytreegroup.blogspot.ca/2007/02/wind-swept-tree.html
Listen to the winds
as it blows through the trees.
Listen to the birdsong
outside of your window
in the early morning hours.
Listen to the traffic
driving furiously by
as the the hours creep by.
Listen to your co-workers typing
and the subsequent swearing
at her computer.
Listen to the music
echoing John Lennon's voice
back at your ears.
Listen to the memory,
silent sounds,
but just as loud
as your mind wanders long hallways.
Listen to your voice,
it speak a truth.
Listen to the world around you,
there is much to learn
to the sounds of the world
around you.


2:28 pm


V = Violin. I played the violin for 9 nine years in school, from fourth grade up through high school. It was a good time in my life. it wasn't necessarily the best player and sometimes I didn't practice enough, but I really enjoying playing Mozart and Beethoven.

Remember going to NYSSMA competitions, both solo and orchestra. I still have my medals from those days. Even got to use them for a costume, when my husband played the Major General in a production of "Pirates of Penzance". I have a deep love for classical and fiddle music, which I am sure stems from my days in the Orchestra.

My favourite fiddle players are the ones that are the most passionate about what they do. Lindsay Stirling is one of them, I also love Mairead Nesbitt of Celtic Woman, and Bob Hallett of Great Big Sea.

It's really easy to see how violin and fiddle player can get lost in their own music. It's a pulse, a rhythm in their core, much like a heartbeat is for the bodies of all living creatures. I have spent a number of hours listening to some of these artist, over and over, just because the music is hypnotizing. I will even mime the finger movement if a song is particularly infectious.


So, Dear Readers, what types of music are you most passionate about? Maybe something from your childhood, or because of an instrument you play/played, or just a favourite band/genre of music? Leave me a comment below. As always, have a fantastic day and weekend.

A to Z Challenge and NaPoWriMo are wrapping up. It'll be weird not writing about 5 or so different things. It's been a whirlwind of writing, poetry, and blogs.

Peace,
~Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note: