Here, There be a Writer

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Tetractys of Stars and a HUGE pile of Books

Behold a TRIPLE TETRACTYS! Not  a common form and one that I discovered over a Shadow Poetry back in October 2014. I find the lines by syllable count poetry forms harder to convey my thoughts, as I tend to get a bit wordy with my ideas. It is good practice though to write in these simplistic forms (tetractys, cinquain, or blitz poems), as is allows your to focus your thoughts in a more concise manner.

Today's prompt over at NaPoWriMo is poetry inspired by Constellations, the heavens, the stars.
"Today, I challenge you to take your gaze upward, and write a poem about the stars. You may find inspiration in this website that lists constellations, while also providing information on the myths associated with each one, as well as other salient information.Your poem could be informed by those myths or historical details, by the shapes or names of the constellations, or by childhood memories of seeing them. Any form or style will do."
Celestial Seas

Seas
within
swim Cetus,
the sea serpent
in a ballet of the enormous kind.

Also, swims the pisces and dorado,
celestial
they are humble 
fish kings
borne.

Skies,
like seas
so vastly
filled wide with
all manners of creatures and things of man.


B is for Books Blogging from a to Z


I am very much a Bibliophile. I usually find that went I go into a used bookstore, a regular bookstore, a salvation army store, or a library book sale I will walk out with at least 2 or 3 books, if not more.  Pretty sure that my TO READ pile will never go down.

Bibliophile - (noun) a person who loves or collects books, especially as examples of fine or unusual printing, binding, or the like. From dictionary.com.

For example, after my trip o Cambridge, MA to meet Amanda Palmer at her release party for The Art of Asking, (which I bought) I also bought 3 of Neil's books. I started to devour his writing (about that for another day). Once I get into a new author, I find that I must own ALL TEH BOOKS. I bought all of The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica series by James A. Owen. If there is a book recommended to me and I read it and then find out it is part of a series. Guess what? I buy the rest of the series.

This is only part of it. Author's to whom I have been loyal to, if I find books of theirs in a Salvation Army store, older print hardcover editions I buy them. Seriously I am going to need an addition to the house at this rate. I do love a good book. Of course there are a few I will NEVER read again, namely The Old Man and the Sea and A Separate Peace come to mind.

And at the end of the day I don't mind the piles, well, because BOOKS! Books are awesome. Books are the greatest weapon! And I have learned to read with a bit more gusto and timeliness. Thanks to Goodreads for having a yearly reading challenge. That helps too!

Current Top Favourite Books (this is hard to narrow down. Any bibliophile will know what I mean)
1. Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman
2. Maddaddam Trilogy (I know it's 3 books not 1) - Margaret Atwood
3. The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica (7 books) - James A. Owen

Pre-prompt from March 31, 2015:
Try writing your own poem that begins “I guess it’s too late to live on a farm”? Or if you already live on a farm, why not “I guess it’s too late to live in the city”?

This is a Sedoka, made up of two Katauta (3 lines / syllable count 5-7-7) and unrhymed.

from MorgueFile

What I Wish

With the rolling hills
and the fresh scent of growing
this is where my soul belongs.

Hallow melodies
engulfed by the steel forests
is where I have taken root.

1 comment:

  1. I also have all of the Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica books. And I hear you on A Separate Peace. Got to love the books! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note: