Here, There be a Writer

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

A-Musing Phone Tag (see what I did there?)

I went a little outside the box today.  I took the concept of today's prompt and wrote a full dialogue and then whittled it down to a poem length. I had a bit fun with this one. A phone tag conversation between a writer and her muse. It's a little lengthy, but I am thinking of turning into a full 1 act. Hope you enjoy both versions.

Also, I am writing about the Muse of Lyric Poetry, Erato.

L is for Lyric Poetry

Today, I challenge you to write a poem that takes the form of a dialogue. Your conversant could be real people, or be personifications, as in Andrew Marvell’s A Dialogue Between the Soul and the Body, or Yeats’ A Dialogue of Self and Soul. Like Marvell, and Yeats, you could alternate stanzas between your two speakers, or perhaps you could give them alternating lines. Your speakers could be personifications, like those in Marvell and Yeats’ poems, or they could be two real people. Hopefully, this prompt will give you a chance to represent different points of view in the same poem, or possibly to create a dramatic sense of movement and tension within the poem.

Topic: Phone Tag between Writer and Muse


Poet:
Hey Erato. I know it's been awhile. But, well I was wondering... I want to write a poem. Want to write it with me? Looking for inspiration.You going to be around?

Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Oh, come on, really? Fine.

Beep!

Okay, Eri, give me a call when you get in. Thanks! I am not doing anything tonight. Give me a call, please.

Poet:
Hey you, I'm waiting. Where are you? I know you're there. Pick up.

Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

It's, Cin. Time to write a poem, Girl. I really need to talk to you.

Beep!

I'm serious. Why do you do this to me, right when I am totally ready to write. Leaving me here to sit in front of my blank computer screen. Waiting. Call me when you get in.

Poet:
Eri, are you home yet? I'm still waiting.

Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Really? Are you trying to irritate me, Girl? You cannot possibly still be out. I really can't write this all by myself.

Beep!

Please, Erato, give me a call as soon as you get home. I'll be up for a while. Prolly working late tonight on this poem.

Poet:
Eri, I feel asleep. You still haven't called.

Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

I really in need your help, Eri. I don't think I can write this by myself.

Beep!

Everytime I try to write something about anything, I just end up with a blank screen and feeling irritated. I thought we were a team. What happened? I need you.

Poet:
Eri, it's Cin. I really need to talk to you. I'm on a deadline here...

Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Eri, if you are busy can I have Calli's or Euri's number?

Beep!

Please? I really need this. This is important...

Poet:
Okay, Erato. I'm done. You don't wanna help? Fine. I guess I will...

Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

...have to write this myself.

Beep!

Don't ever ask for my help then!

Muse:
Cin, it's Eri. I'm sorry I just got your messages. I was out with Calli and Euri, big job with the Boss. I mean HUGE!

Sorry, not here. Leave me a message.

Did you happen to finish your poem. I am so sorry that I didn't get back to you. I hope you aren't mad. Please give me a buzz. Will be around kicking back some ambrosia and playing the harp.

Beep!

You sounded really mad. Are you?

Muse:
Cin?

Sorry, not here. Leave me a message.

You haven't called me back. Are you really that mad at me?

Beep!

I have a fantastic idea for a song, wanna hear it?

Muse:
Eri here. I think I stepped in it big time. I'm sorry, Cin.

Sorry, not here. Leave me a message.

I am really sorry. I didn't mean to leave you in the lurch on this project.

Beep!


Call me, please.

When a Poet and Muse Talk

It's Cindy!

Cin, it's Eri.
~PAUSE~
Oh, hey.

You still mad?
~PAUSE~
Actually, no.

Did you finish that poem you were talking about?

I did.

And?
~PAUSE~
It made it on the calendar.

Wow! That's wonderful, Cin. Congrats!
~PAUSE~
Thanks!
~PAUSE~
So, what are you doing tonight?

Nothing.

Me neither. Wanna hang?
~PAUSE~
Actually yeah, I do. I'm missed you. I'm sorry.

Me too.
~PAUSE~
~LAUGHTER~
Even muses get busy.

Yeah?

Can I come over about seven?

Sure.

Cool! See you then?

Yeppers.

Bye. 

Toodles.
~~~~~~~~~
A brief update on my ROW80 progress. My weekend was a bit busy, but I got to see 6 new show grow organically awesome theatrical productions. How are you all doing, Dear Readers? What have you been up to?
This Week:
   *Reading: plowing through The Dragon and the George (Gordon R. Dickson).
   *Writing: making my daily goals for NaPoWriMo and Blogging A to Z
    
A Round of Words in 80 Days is a blog challenge that allows you to set your goals and report on your progress, sharing your experiences with fellow writers, and sharing your work with other. It is a Blog Hop! Come on in and stay awhile!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note: