Here, There be a Writer

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas and the Kitty - 2013

It's Christmas Eve!

Only a few days past the Solstice, or Yule. The shortest day of the year. We are now half out of the dark.

I had a particularly rough solstice this year, with the passing of my Beloved Sunshine, my Winkin. My beautiful kitty that I have had the pleasure of enjoying his company for almost 11 years. I don't really want to go into details, but the week prior he hadn't been feeling well and I think the Rainbow Bridge was too much to pass up for him. He is now buried in the yard, near one of his favourite windows and we will have a flagstone with his name engraved into it, and I think Daffodils planted around his grave. I love my baby and miss him terribly, but such is the way of life. I know he was a happy cat and that he is not suffering anymore.

Gooseberry Green Cat's Eyes
There are so many memories I have had with Winkin; he loved windows, rolling on cement, catnip and treats and long brushings. He always seemed to shed, but his coat was the most beautiful shade of greyish brown, with a hint of silver. His eyes were the most gorgeous shade of green, I called them gooseberry green. He loved sunshine, being in the basement, and playing tag with Lucy (his sister). He was a fat, but totally happy cat. His purr was loud like a motor boat and hearing it always made me happy.

I am going to miss him terribly. He was my baby, straight from Texas and part of my heart. I love you , will always love you Winkin!

Winkin on the Stairs
Since then, the healing has begun. I have been celebrating the holidays with friends for the last 2 days. Life is starting to return to normal. Christmas is a scant 42 or so minutes away. I am so amazed that 2013 has passed so quickly. It's been a full year. I have been lucky, my year has been full of many amazing and awesome things. Some of my friends have not been as lucky. So have remained firm in the belief that 2014 will be a much better year for them, and that is the best thing that a person can believe in, that there is hope in the future.

My hope?

Oh, I hope for many things, but that which I always hope from is that those friends and family are happy.

Merry Christmas, Dear Readers! Also Blessed Yule, Festivus, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Saturnalia and all those holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note: