Here, There be a Writer

Saturday, April 7, 2018

G is for Green (eggs and Ham)

There is a lot to be nostalgic for as you get older, such as TV shows you used to watch, music you

haven't heard in years. Some things do not age well.

Green Eggs and Ham is not one of those thing. Even after all this time I still enjoy reading it.

Theodore Seuss Geisel, AKA Dr. Seuss happened on a brilliant idea, to tell a story simply. He used few words and a lot of repetition. He created iconic characters, one who doesn't even have a name. Born was Sam I am and his great pursuit of the breakfast of champions and to share it with the world. Enter an unfortunate gentleman who gets caught of in Sam's over zealous enthusiasm. Unfortunately not everyone believes in the wonderful potency of the eggs and ham of emerald. (How times can I say it, but using different words or combinations?)

How could you not want to eat them with a mouse or a fox? And what about the thrilling chase to flee from the avian birthing pods of olive and a side of pork tinted the shades of a forest. (Okay, maybe I am stretching it a little on this one.)

Admit it. Green Eggs and Ham is fun!

There is something special about a story that uses only 50 words to tell a full and complete story. A story filled with the most detailed rhyme and silly imagery ever, yet it is known to almost all people since it's publication August 1960. That is a lot of children to read or be read to the story of Green Eggs and Ham in 58 years!

Since then it has been made into an animated TV special and a song by the Canadian quartet, Moxy Fruvous, which is an absolute pleasure to listen to (well for me certainly). It gives an insane romp through the beloved classic and makes it even more humourous as Sam I am takes on Mr. Cheese (the unnamed man) to who Sam asks to "try it, you might like it".

Take a listen if you never herd the song before; if you have, then enjoy it again.



In the wake of that, I present my daily offering of poetic license, a la pantoum to the famous lime coloured oval of protein and the salty ass end of a pig ( yea, still doing this). I have no shame,; I admit this.

This post is written strictly in the realm of the silly and absurd.

What is your favourite Dr. Seuss book, Dear Readers? I love Green Eggs and Ham, but was also fond of Scrambled Eggs Super, or On Beyond Zebra.

Enjoy today's pantoum.

The Real Story of Green Eggs and Ham

With eggs of green upon my plate
and all the sentences end that in rhyme,
it is no wonder why Mr. Cheese went mad
when asked to eat Sam's evergreen porcine and eggs.

And all the sentences that end in rhyme,
I don't even bother to try to finish 
when asked to eat Sam's evergreen porcine and eggs
for of the veggies I would rather eat.

I don't even bother to try and finish
when mice and foxes steal my eggs,
for veggies I would rather eat
than a broiled or baked pork rear end.

When mice and foxes steal my eggs,
and by boat or train I try to flee
than a broiled or baked pork rear end
meal cooked by one, Sam I am.

And by boat or train I will try to flee
because a vegetarian I am. And
meals cooked by Sam I am--
without consult to me on my tastes.

Because a vegetarian I am, And
it is no wonder why Mr. Cheese went mad
without consult to me on my tastes
with eggs of green upon my plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note: