Here, There be a Writer

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

U is for UP (Great Day for)

The Letter of the day is U. It was hard to find a U title to use, so I had to get creative and use a title that features the letter U. I will utilized my grey matter. The umpteen entries for words that starts with Un that I find, but I won't take umbrage with that. Maybe I'll just buy a ukelele and sing you this book? It just so happens that Dr. Seuss is good for that-alas I don't have a ukelele-with a book called, Great Day for Up.

A rousing tale to help you wake up and start your day. Although, I am just a tad cynical when it comes to early risers, or getting up in the morning in general. I tend to like my bed and being burritoed in my warm and comfy blankets. But get UP I do.

At least a Great Day for Up is a good book to write a pantoum about.

This book was (and still is) part of my collection, although over the years this said collection has shrunk some, and I absolutely love Dr. Seuss in any form. His way with words makes you want to read the books louder and in some cases faster. Dr. Seuss books were staples of my bedtime routine for years. And I am not afraid to admit that sometimes I will take out one of his books to read. They never get old! Green Eggs and Ham, On Beyond Zebra, If I Ran the Zoo, or Scrambled Eggs Super are just a few of my favourites.

Not much else to say, except that I am UP today!

Here's your poetic slice for today, Dear Readers. I don't try to rhyme when I write, as most times it comes off as trite. (Okay, you had that coming). So, I pose to you what are your favourite Dr. Seuss stories? Please leave me a comment below.

Cheers!

UP, You Say? UP!

This little book's wishes,
states hardly more than two dozen words
(I haven't counted though)
about the joys of getting up.

States hardly more than two dozen words,
mostly using that two letter word
about the joys of getting up,
usually when the sun slowly rises.

Mostly using that two letter word
to rally the troops to get them outta bed,
usually when the sun slowly rises,
but others will UP in the middle of night.

To rally the troops to get them outta bed,
because that is what you do, right?
But others will UP in the middle of night,
but it is still UP! UP! UP!

Because that is what you do, right?
I prefer to avoid the status quo, you know,
but it is still UP! UP! UP!
Faster and earlier each day.

I prefer to avoid the status quo, you know,
but taking my time to rise though
faster and earlier each day,
I will still slowly get UP in order to follow

But taking my time to rise though
(I haven't counted though)
I will still slowly get UP in order to follow;
this little book's wishes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note: