Here, There be a Writer

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

O is for Ox-Cart (Man)

O is for Ox, Ox-Cart, Ox-Cart Man!


It is a lesser known story, but one I am most familiar with. I am not even sure how many people remember the Ox-Cart Man written by Donald Hall. It was a staple of my youth, either reading it myself or having one of my parents. It was part of the Children's Choice Book Club that my parents subscribed to, and I received a book a month, I think.

It was also where I got Bread and Jam for Frances, Best Friends for Frances, Roland the Minstrel Pig, Corduroy, and Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile just to name a few books from my youth. What stories do you remember from your childhood?


A Trip to Market

It was in Autumn,
when we loaded the cart;
all that was leftover from the past years work,
that will sell at Portsmouth Market.

When we loaded the cart
full of apples, potatoes, and maple sugar,
that will sell at Portsmouth Market
when the leaves begin to fall.

Full of apples, potatoes, and maple sugar
that will fetch a fine price,
when the leaves begin to fall,
but also will the cart that carries this load.

That will fetch a fine price;
the bull with a ring in his nose,
but also will the cart that carries this load,
one last time to Portsmouth Market.

The bull with a ring in his nose,
left with a kiss upon his nose.
One last time to Portsmouth Market
and a load of wintergreen peppermint in a black kettle.

Left with a kiss upon his nose,
the long walk back homeward
and a load of wintergreen peppermint in a black kettle;
a needle, a knife and some jingling coins.

The long walk back homeward
all that was leftover from the past years work;
a needle, a knife and some jingling coin;
it was in Autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note: