Here, There be a Writer

Sunday, April 8, 2018

NaPoWriMo: This Island Mine

I am off from the A to Z challenge today. It is Sunday and to make the month balance out 4 out of the 5 Sunday are rest days. I decided I would keep up with the book thing anyway and write a pantoum abut one of Shakespeare's work. I a also going to use today's prompt where the mysterious and magical things occur. I already used A Midsummer Night's Dream, so that means I have to use The Tempest, which is next in line for the most magical and mysterious.


I performed as Trinculo in a production of The Tempest back in 2014, the drunk clown in the court of King Alonso. That was a fun role. I got to be 'drunk' all the time and I got to keep the best prop outside of the Ass (hat) Ears I got from Midsummer.  It's a gord used for drinking (no actual drinking occurred, alas), which I cannot located at this time. It was an amazing time and I learn a bit of onstage physical humour performing with my friends, Sara and David, as Stephano and Caliban.

The Tempest is one I hadn't actually read before I auditioned for the show, but it has become a favourite; in my top 5. Ariel is my favourite role in the show, because, well, he is a magical creature, but is also a slave (though Prospero is the kindest of masters). My friend, Tara, had a stellar run as Ariel.

Truthfully, I think I had more fun playing Trinculo than I would have as Ariel. Something about being absolutely silly onstage is kind of freeing. It is also challenge, as to be THAT silly, it takes work.

This Island Mine

Upon this island I do stand
the master of fate to those
who dare to take from me, Mine
in their own form of justice.

The master of fate to those
men of Milan most callous and cruel
in their own form of justice,
so I returned to them tenfold.

Men of Milan most callous and cruel
I bring them here unto my island,
so I return to them tenfold
by magic most dark and deep.

I bring them here unto my island
and my spirit of air, Ariel
by magic dark and deep,
for a lesson in humility.

And my spirit of the air, Ariel
or my lowly earth spirit, Caliban
for a lesson in humility
they all must take.

Or my lowly earth spirit, Caliban
must take it all full weight.
They must take
in endless pile of sticks.

Must take it all full weight
who dare to take from me, Mine
in endless pile  of sticks
Upon this island I do stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note: