Here, There be a Writer

Tuesday, April 3, 2018

C is for Chicken (Soup with Rice)

Today is an easy pick. It is something wonderfully cheesy (or soupy) from my childhood. Chicken Soup with Rice by Maurice Sendak, is a book of months in verse. Maurice also wrote Where the Wild Things Are and many other books, even a musical.

I loved this book growing up and am pretty sure I read it close to a million times. I remember reading it myself or having one of my parents read it to me. And I swear, this is the truth, it gets faster with each month's verse, even when you try to not rush it. It's a weird word magic!

What' even weirder is that Chicken Soup with Rice was turned into a song. It is also magical because it is sung by Carole King. The song version was included in  a musical, Really Rosie, written by Maurice Sendak and with music by Carole King in 1980. Before that it was an animated children's special that aired on CBS in 1975. You can find it on YouTube. Later it went onto Off-Broadway in 1980 and revived in 2017. The story is about the sassiest kid in Brooklyn, Rosie and how she tells and acts out her stories with her her friends, the Nutshell Kids t keep the boredom away during summer vacation. Rosie is the bossy star of the show, but it features several character from other books Pierre (Pierre: A Cautionary Tale in 5 Chapters and a Prologue), Alligator (Alligators All Around), and Chicken Soup (Chicken Soup with Rice).

There is something special in the worlds of Maurice Sendak, whether and island of Wild Things or Alligator acting out the alphabet or having adventures with your favourite soup. I know that's why I love Chicken Soup with Rice and Where the Wild Things Are.

What is your favourite Maurice Sendak book growing up? What was you favourite book from another children's author, like Dr. Seuss or William Steig (for example)?



And now for the pantoum. This will likely get silly. Just warning you, in case you are squeamish about all things silly. Enjoy! (Note: this one was rather fun to write, BTW)

Hot Soup Praises

When singing praises of hot soup today,
remember not to blow too hard
or upon your floor your soup will grace
and a frown  upon your face will cast.

Remember not to blow too hard
for soup is better warmed than ice cold
and a frown upon your face will cast
if to taste of soup so frigid cold.

For soup is better warmed than ice cold
for who would want some chilly soup today?
If to taste of soup so frigid cold--
a soupicle upon a stick.

For who would want some chilly soup today?
But rather penguins might deem to like
a soupsicle upon a stick,
that you are now forced to lick.

But rather penguins might deem to like
your soup on a stick, indeed
that you are now forced to lick.
So, maybe for a trade now is time?

Your soup on a stick, indeed
or upon your floor your soup will grace.
So, maybe for a trade now is time,
when singing praises of hot soup today.

1 comment:

  1. I like Hot Soup Praises. There's a cold Korean soup that's I've enjoyed, but I don't know if I'd like it as a soupsicle. I need to go find "Chicken Soup with Rice" at the library. Winne the Pooh is still my favorite book.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note: