Here, There be a Writer

Friday, April 6, 2018

F is for Furiously (Happy)

What do you get when you find a book with a doofy looking 'stuffed' raccoon on the cover? If I didn't know who had written it, I would probably stop and look at it, at least. What if I knew it was written by Jenny Lawson. Then I would snap it off awfully fast.

Furiously Happy is the second book of Jenny Lawson, AKA The Bloggess. If you don't know, Jenny is a super, uber popular blogger and writer who writes about her struggles with mental illness and continues with stories from her unusually weird and delightfully family. There are stories of taxidermy, metal illness and hiding under desk at conventions, adventures in being a writer with dogs being a prime case of writer's block (see Jenny's Instagram), and everything else in between.

I first encountered Jenny Lawson when a really good friend suggested I read Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir. Jenny's speak about her daily struggles with anxiety, depression, and OCD in such a way that I was  hooked. Naturally, I found I couldn't put it down and read it in about two or three days, which is fast for me. The same was true of Furiously Happy, I read and read until I was done. In a time when I needed a reminder that there are others as f*cked up than me, and because they are as f*cked up than me I could laugh at the absurdity of everything. Jenny Lawson taught me to not be afraid of myself, even when it was so easy to be afraid of myself.

She certainly isn't afraid of me, or maybe she is and just hasn't told me.

Damn it, Jenny! Why didn't you tell me this...

Maybe I need to tell her thanks for being honest and real. "THANK YOU JENNY!" I scream to the heavens. Okay maybe the heavens aren't awake at 5:30 in the morning; and maybe they first want a good, strong cup of coffee before taking visitor, especially one so loud and early.

That is what I learned from Jenny Lawson is that you can be silly and it is okay. You can be afraid and it is okay. You can be true to you, and learn something that'll make you stronger. Thank you Jenny. I mean that. Although I would scream to the heaven for you to. I want you to know that.

And because of that, I can be honest and real. I am not as afraid of myself.  Still a little afraid of the word though. I mean, have you seen what's outside. There is a giant Dorito in the White House and it is STILL SNOWING in April (in southern central New York anyway).

Yeah, it is a little weird outside, but it is warm and wonderfully weird in here with Rory the Raccoon, Ferris Mewler and Dorothy Barker. Stay proud! Stay weird! (Make Good Art and even Better Trouble). And be Furiously Happy that you are Alive!



Did This Happen?

"Tell me a weird story, Mom."
"Like what? About Grandpa's dead animal collection?"
It is a common request in this house,
of taxidermy and backpacks for cats.

Like what? About Grandpa's dead animal collection?
How did Rory come to be?
of taxidermy and backpacks for cats,
except for the dog, who much prefers it.

How did Rory come to be?
A story for all the ages,
except for the dog, who much prefers it
when you have hot dawgs for dinner.

A story for all ages,
when Victor got me a giant stuffed squid and
when you have hot dawgs for dinner;
this is my actually life.

When Victor got me a giant stuffed squid and
I argued over semantics of vampire diets.
This is my actually life--
no one else would dare claim it.

I argued over semantics of vampire diets,
it is a common request in this house.
No one would dare claim it,
"Tell me a weird story, Mom."


What is your weirdest memory, Dear Reader? Best memory? Leave me a comment and some love below. 

My best memory was meeting my mentor in 2013. I was really nervous and excited, all at the same time. Was TOTALLY worth it. And he is a good friend to this day. My weirdest memory, that is tough for so early in the morning. I'll go with playing myself in a show written in 8 hours, and confusing one of my best friends all day because one of my lines actually was, "Where's the coffee? Sara said there would be coffee."

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note: