Here, There be a Writer

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Rifftrax and The Beginnings of the Revision of the "Road Trip"

So, the early week slump had struck again. Monday was a bit of a wash...and that is a bit rough to swallow,"Godzilla", the shitty 1998 Roland Emmerich version with Matthew Broderick and 80% of the Simpson's cast up in Ithaca, NY. It technically was not LIVE, that was last Thursday, but it was still pretty sweet! There is truth to Rifftrax's tag line, "Some movies have it coming."
knowing that I keep my Mondays free for that purpose. At least Tuesday, my mood was positive and I had a great date night with the Hubs. We went to see Rifftrax's live riff

Oh, Godzilla had it coming....so did Matthew Broderick!


Of course this meant a trip to Manos Diner on Route 13 in Ithaca, NY. The 24 hour diner with some pretty tasty food. I had cheesecake, while David at a cheeseburger to the sound of the restaurant radio station playing in the main part of the restaurant. It was some local Ithaca radio station, playing Adele, Sixpence None the Richer, and the like; while someone was watching soccer and listening to rock in the lounge part of Manos. The Personal Jesus Sara Bareilles (I think) mash-up was entertaining. Anywhooooo, it was a lovely date and now it's Wednesday. You know what that means?


Go to their Website RIFFTRAX and check out their stuff!!

It's ROW80 time!

What have I done this week (so far):
      *I have been writing almost daily, mostly in the form of haiku. I seem to be resorting to the short form of poetry. But it's concentrated and I can practice my vocabulary work on the haiku. The thesaurus is my friend. I have also been journaling which is my other outlet for my frustrations.
      *I finally started revising my short story "Road Trip"  [current title]. It came fast and furious last week that I know it'll get changed. I was generally please with the concept and I think I know where I ultimately take it. Will work on a bit more tonight.  Also, I have a new Beta Reader and "The Bluebird's are Gone" and "Crying Mascara" goes out to him tonight.
      *Only into the second chapter of "Abhorsen", but I am also reading "Misty of Chincoteague" and considering doing a write up on Marguerite Henry. Also, my last two lunches I didn't read any. I was a tad impeded those days. Tomorrow morning, the porch and the morning fog are mine to sit and read before work. I had to get up early for work the last three days and there was less time in the morning for reading and caffeination.
       *I am still visiting fellow writer, not quite everyday, yet. At least on check-in days I have been able to visit with a few of them. Habits take a little time to become habits. I am finding my rhythm is returning with my writing, blogging, reading and networking.

What I want to  improve this week:
       *Blogging twice a week, a non-AROW80 blog. This is important to me. It's really why I started Here, There be a Writer; to write, to make the step and take the plunge into get my writing, and my voice out into the world and cyberspace.
        *Finish "Abhorsen" by the end of August or sooner. Start the "MaddAddam" series by Margaret Atwood. I read "Oryx and Crake" a couple of years ago and want to finish the series. Seeing as I know there's a whole series now.
         *Finish one more on my unfinished stories before summer is completely over. I have about 2 or 3 WIP stories that need some attention. I started them back around April. I think it's time to see if these stories are ready to complete themselves.

Mostly it's reading and writing that I am focusing on. On those weeks that I get distracted, I need to keep going, keep pulling forward. I have some other projects that I am determined to finish. The major ones include putting together my poetry books and then submitting them to contests and publishers, both online and actually publishers. My big problem is needed to get the right programs to make this happen and learning to use the said programs. I would definitely want to get my book of sonnets together by years end. That is the big goal, Dear Readers. Going to spend a lot of time playing with my Microsoft publisher and see what I can do and in the coming weeks I might actually have something to show you all. My poetry is something near to my heart and I have tried so hard to advance my skills, increase my vocabulary, and stretch my poetic muscles. This is something I WANT. Therefore, I will make it happen.

Anyway, even with my rough start to my Monday, I am already feeling better about this week. Best part, only two days (roughly) until Capaldi lands as the new Doctor. Doctor Who party on Saturday! Making home made jammie dodgers and having fish fingers and custard (pudding). As much I loved Matt Smith as the Doctor, I am ready for a new deeper Doctor. That and more Strax the psychotic potato dwarf.

Also, there's the AROW80 Blog Hop to visit and see what my fellows are up to. They are good people, I have gotten some great advise from them and enjoy hearing about their adventures and misadventures in the world.

AROW80 stands for A Round of Words in  80 Days. It's a blog challenge that knows you have a life, but also challenges you to make and meet your goals that you set.

I am planning some  new things in the month of September, more themed months/poetry months and some interviews too.

I'll leave you with one of my favourite Ladysmith Black Mambazo song:


Have a great week, Dear Readers! Love to you all and I believe in each and every one on you!!

1 comment:

  1. Wishing you all the best with your writing, and I love your positive attitude. The last two weeks of summer kicked my a**, thanks to tons of school/kid/company activities. Tomorrow is the first day of school, and it's time I get back to goals and kicking some to-do butt. Hope your last week of August is productive.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note: