Here, There be a Writer

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Top 10 Really Stupid, Silly, yet Highly Amusing Movies that Make Me Happy

10. Ghostbusters
While not a stupid movie exactly, it gets props for have the most quotable lines in an movie, ever. It's more silly than stupid (I am going to be using the word Silly a lot in this blog. Just warning you.) I think I watched this movie about eleventy billion times grow up. I still watch this movie A LOT! It's just a just a fun movie. The acting is well done, for a comedy, maybe not stellar, but long lasting. Bill Murray and Dan Ackroyd make this movie. The cartoon only added to the awesome, but then again I am a child of the 80's, Ghostbusters was one of our things.

Originally the role of Dr. Venkman was to be played by John Belushi, friend to and fellow SNL alumni, Dan Ackroyd, and was written by Dan Ackroyd and Harold Ramis

Favourite Quotes: Far to many to mention, but the highlights are "Where do these stairs go?" pause "They go up." "I feel like the floor of a taxi cab."

9. Adventures in Babysitting
Yes, this is a movie and if you haven't seen it, then to need to fix that. It's unrealistic, but so much that it's hilarious. Elisabeth Shue in her early days and also features a young Vincent D'Onoforio as the Mean Mechanic Dawson/Thor. Valerie Bertinelli auditioned for the role of Chris Parker.

Favourite Quote: "Don't F*ck with the Babysitter!"

Favourite Moment: Babysitting Blues



8. Clue
Tim Curry is a GOD among men!! That is all!!! It's a movie based on a board game people. Really! Battleship should hope to be this good. Sometimes one has to accept that the sillier a thing is, the better it ultimately it is.

Favourite Quote: actually most memorable - "Flames are shooting out of my eyes."

7. Oscar
The movie that doesn't stand still. It also features Tim Curry, but also Sylvester Stallone. Just watch it!

6. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer
Yes, I like this movie. No, I am not a fan of the TV show (actually, I haven't really watch the TV show. i don;t hate the show, just didn't really watch it when it was out; that would be 1997 and I was graduating from high school. I am currently watching it with Sara, Buffy fan Extraordinaire). Nothing about this movie is classic, but everything about this movie makes me laugh; from Paul Reubens to Kristy Swanson punching Donald Sutherland.

Originally written by Joss Whedon, who created the subsequent television show. There is a legion of Buffy fans out there. I can say that while I like the movie, because I grew up on it; the television is equal good. I am currently watching it to get myself caught up in the Buffy-Verse.

Favourite Quote: "Kill them. Kill them a lot!"

5. Scorched
Another fast paced comedy in the vein of Oscar or Clue, with a stellar ensemble cast. It basic about the employees of a small desert bank and how they hate their jobs/boss. Woody Harrelson  and John Cleese are at their best here. If you want something funny and silly to watch, check it out.

Favourite Quote: "They're like little ice cream bugs."

4. The Breakfast Club
This is a movie that I can also quote this movie verbatim. There is much truth to the story and the characters in Breakfast Club. And the soundtrack is pretty good too! There are few soundtrack that have good music throughout the movie; maybe not the most famous, or even considered the best of the song, but they work to augment the story and are listenable on their own.

Favourite Quotes: "If he gets up, we'll all get up; it'll be anarchy," "If I have to come in there, I'm cracking skulls," or "Does Barry Manilow know you raid his wardrobe."

Best scene: Dancing in the Library

3. Labyrinth
Yes, a Muppet movie! But, this is the movie that I ALMOST didn't watch this movie. My dad quotes me and saying, "This looks stupid!" Famous last words indeed. The story is simple, but the combination of Henson, Lucas, and Bowie is epic! Epic!!!! Yes, it's very silly, not NOT Shakespeare or Coppola, but it's Henson. Henson is his own category. What is lacks in story plot, more than makes up in Muppets, and David Bowie, and just all together good feeling about characters like Sir Didymus and Ludo. I wanted to be Sarah, especially in this scene, the Ballroom. Then my wonderful husband came up with a literal version of this song: As the World Fall Down.

Favourite Quotes: "Love me, fear me, do as I say and I'll be your slave."

2.  Joe Versus the Volcano
Tom Hanks before he got all big, not the movie, before he became the biggest actor out there. When he was kinda dorky and we weren't sure if he was going to be good at acting. It's a silly premise, but made awesome by Meg Ryan, Abe Vigoda, and Dan Hedaya (that guy that played Carla, from Cheer good for nothing ex-husband). Joe is going to die and decides to travel to the south pacific to jump into a volcano. It involves a quack doctor, Meg Ryan with three different roles, and floatable luggage.

Favourite Quote: Abe Vigoda - "It's my soul!"/ Tom Hanks - "You wouldn't want to lose that"; Dan Hedaya - "I know he can get the job, but can he do the job?"

1. But, I'm a Cheerleader
The little indie film that was everything and nothing all rolled into one; both proving a point and slightly offensive to someone. It featured RuPaul as a MAN and a younger Cathy Moriarty and Eddie Cibrian. It is a satirical look at gender role,s about being true with yourself, how society often wants to change a person because they don't fit the norms, and how it's best to be you even when the world is against you. The soundtrack is quite unique too. I fell in love with almost all of the songs, which are from indie and obscure artist. It's worth a watch if you like satire, or something that is a bit off the beaten path.


Favourites Songs: Glass Vase Cello Case by Tattle Tale and Together Forever in Love Go Sailor


Dear Readers, what are some  of your favourite, stupid movies thatg make you make just to watch over and over? Leave me a comment!

Thanks, Cindy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note: