Here, There be a Writer

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

So many days all together...

Funny how fast Wednesday gets here when you miss Sunday completely. Yet here I am blogging into the late hours while eating spicy tuna rolls and edamame. It's what I do. Still trying to fully get back on the wagon with my goals. I'm pretty sure Labour Day is a cover for procrastination day.

Feeling a bit more cheered as a found my secondary story plot for Modern Muses, my current WIP. Speaking of which it is also WIPpet Wednesday. More of that in the next paragraph. I really need to change the title, its not what I want, but I am still finding out more about this story as I go. I am pretty excited that this story is probably going to be my NaNoWriMo this year and thus I have a sizable chunk started. Down side is that it is turning into a fantasy story and ultimately going to be longer. Better news is that I am focused on finding and keeping a plot.Time to finally break out of my fear of writing fantasy. The basic premise is muses in modern California battling an enemy. No spoilers here, Sweetie!


WIPpet Wednesday was created by by K.L. Schwengel the brain child and master wordsmith, whereby you take the date and use some form of math to add up to a snippet from your WIP. See, today's date is 9/9 and under this math I can share 9 paragraphs from when Mel meets the Mistress of the House. Melpomene is the muse of Tragedy and friend to Thalos thje muse of Comedy. Thalos is trying to find the library of the Master/Mistress of the House, while Mel is doing this...

Go and visit the other WIPpeteers and see what they are writing.

He could tell the voice had a distinct accent, not anything from his part of the world, nor the new lands that they had settled in. In had been hard for many of the old gods to come to a much different place. Many felt bitter and resentful, but Mel and his ancestors found a place where they could inspire a new generation of poets and playwrights. California was very different than Greece, but after a while, some two hundred years now Mel was almost use to it. It wasn’t just the muses of Greece that move here; he knew there were other clans that had staked a claim here too. The new force was definitely not local. She, at least Mel though it was a she, sounded welsh.

“Okay,” Mel put on his best charm, “Old Country or New?”

The figure laughed, “So you aren’t completely stupid, little muse. Fine, I like a good game. Old country then.”

Mel rubbed the dagger as he thought of his next move, “Male or female?”

The figure moved closer, raising a hand and swiping it across a nearby table. There appeared a tray of meats and cheeses, another of breads, a decanter of a golden liquid, and several cans of soda pop. “Female,” she said, raising her eyebrows seductively, “Want some refreshments?”

“Hmm…” Mel stood up and walked slowly to the table, fingering his dagger, “Sure, as long as you aren’t evil. So, Evil or Good?” He stood at the table and placed his right hand on the table, leaning closer to the figure and still holding the dagger in his left hand.

“Neutral.” The figure who was clothed in a tight fitting silken dress the colour if fire, leaned closer into the table placing both her on the table, “Now you.” Nodding to him.

Mel gazing into her eyes, the brightest green eyes he had ever seen, “Yes.” And pulling the dagger out of his pocket placed it on the table and let go. 

“Yes,” her voice got whispery as the woman leaned in lips brushing against his, “you would do,” kissing him firmly on the mouth.

And now...

This Week:
     *Writing: wrote Monday (ROW80 check-in), Tuesday (1000+ words/Modern Muses), and Today (791 words/Modern Muses).
     *Reading: continuing with Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (Douglas Adams) and The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Agatha Christie).
      *Social Media: 4 blogs daily and my sponsor duties. Cleaning up my email and promoted my friends kickstarter and fundraising efforts.
      *Blogging: posted one new post on Tuesday.



Today is also WWW Wednesday! To play along, just answer the following three (3) questions…

• What are you currently reading?
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. It's a Douglas Adams novels, meaning that it is a weird story, with a lot of computer and physics stuff and a plot that often meanders. But after having read ALL of the Hitchhiker's Guide, I had to try it. The characters are interesting and the plot leaves me wanting more. And because I tend to have at least three (sometimes four) books in process, I'm able to decide what I am in the mood for. Currently it is Douglas Adams.

• What did you recently finish reading?
    Invisible Moon by James A. Owen. His second Mythworld series. Now waiting for book three to be released.

• What do you think you’ll read next?
    Finish The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and Murder Comes Ashore (Julie Anne Lindsey). I seem to be on a mystery kick. :-)

This (upcoming) Week:
      *Reading: see above.
      *Writing: write daily, at least 300 words on Thursday and Friday on Modern Muses.
      *Editing: spend some time working on my The Real Road Trip edits and Scrivener transfer, note taking, outlining, etc.
      *Blogging: set a blogging schedule. Post a blog entry on Thursday.
      *Submissions: work on a schedule and/or plan for this. Report on progress.
      *Theatre Stuff: Props List.

A Round of Words in 80 Days is a blog challenge that knows you have a life. You see, you set some goal, blog twice a week about them and share your progress with the Blog Hop here.

How are things in your next of the woods, Dear Readers?


3 comments:

  1. Well that was a short courtship, wasn't it? :-P

    Welcome to fantasy!!! Woohoo!!! It's a good place to be. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, intriguing snip!
    I'm looking forward to NaNo too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the snippet and the premise. I have a WIP that has muses in it. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note: