Here, There be a Writer

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A Dialogue....



I took a class in college called "Epic and Romance" and within that class we read "The Odyssey", "Song of Roland", "Beowulf", and "the Once a Future King". It was definitely one of my favourite classes to attend, one because I was reading a lot of classic that I hadn't read before and my professor was the father of Anne Ramsey of 10,000 Maniacs (and looks like King Arthur). One of the papers for that semester was a creative paper on some of the characters that we have read about. I chose a short dialogue with Beowulf, Charlemagne, and Arthur.

It wasn't the most amazing work of mine, but I had fun writing it. So, since I was sifting through old papers, I happened upon this one. i couldn't resist dusting it off and editing it a bit for you wonderful readers. I feel like there are plans to expand this into a longer one act.,. not sure what will happen, but I kind of have the juices flowing with the possibilities.  

I present "Kingdoms and their Kings"



 Setting: An old castle, worn down with age, falling apart. One of the towers has no roof and there’s a faint, but pungent odor of horse dung, rusted metal, and leather. The wind blows, carrying the smell, it comes and goes wafting in and out of existence.  It's almost like it is dying. The time is unknown, but by the looks of the castle’s disrepair, it would have to be in a far flung time of the castle's birth. Remnants of the past still linger here: swords of great battles are hung on the walls, stuffed animal bursts and a huge arm of a beast hangs on the wall, and a large round table made of oak stands in the center. There are three other objects lain center of the table.

In this chamber sit the once mighty monarchs, Beowulf and Charlemagne sitting. They are talking, reliving past wars, great deeds, and warfare, in general.

CHARLEMAGNE
 (Pointing at Beowulf) I remember, good Sir, the day I rode to my nephew’s aid. Oh! Tragedy was in the air. I knew he would need me, but he arrogance damned him. He was so ready to fight those Paynims, those brutes.

BEOWULF
 Really? So, you say, but what are these paynims, if you don’t mind my asking, Sir?

CHARLEMAGNE
 Paynims. You know paynims. Pauses Well…paynims are, well, they are those ignorant savages that raise their evil spirits to us goodly Christians harm. They practice the darker arts, evil spells to poison our flesh He whispers to Beowulf. They are not Christians. Plus… they…well they steal land that could be used for the good of France. Nodding

BEOWULF
 Ah! I see, good Sir, you do not know me well. Do you not recount that I am a Paynims, as it were. Glares at Charlemagne But, I remember you, Charle. You fight well in battle, both with sharpened tongue and blade. Pausing to emphasizing But, have you killed the devil with your bare hands…hmmmm…such as the likes of Grendal…hmmmmm…

Suddenly there is a knock. The huge oak door shudders with a weak sigh. The door, embedded with iron handles opens, in walks a stately gentleman of about the age of seventy. He looks around. His eyes are Rheumy and befuddled, eyes casting their own shadows. He looks at the men and then at the table. Smiling. He sees what he had been looking for, for there lying on the table are three of the finest looking blades ever crafted by the Gods: Joyuese, Hrunting, and Excaliber. The air no longer smells of dung and leather, but of fresh steel, fire, and blood. It fills their nostrils.

ARTHUR
Say! My word, Gentleman, you have my sword! Why do you have my sword? Arthur’s eyes are now blazing. An internal fire burns behind his suddenly shielded eyes grey eyes.

CHARLEMAGNE
Well, how else were we going to get you to come and join us?

ARTHUR
You have a point. looks at Charlemagne So what were you talking about?

BEOWULF
Oh, nothing Smiling. Just battles and glory. Like reminiscing about the good old days.  Beowulf laughs out loud, a jolly laughs that befuddles the old king

CHARLEMAGNE
Say! Weren’t you in that battle at…at…stumbling over his words....Beowulf, where was that battle of his…? Glances over to Beowulf

BEOWULF
Bedegraine! Yes, I believe it was Bedegraine.

CHARLEMAGNE
That’s it! Bedegraine! looks at Arthur, who is now studying his boot Arthur?

ARTHUR
Yes! Confusion. He wears a sad countenance. What were you saying? Pause Oh, I remember now, My love, she was truly beautiful. My Guenever. By God's bones, did I love her he is silent.

CHARLEMAGNE
No, Sir, we were talking about your battle of Bedegraine Charlemagne turns to Beowulf and whispering. You thought I was losing it? He’s flipped completely.

BEOWULF
Whispering Well, think about it, Charles. He lost his love to a vagabond knight, he slept with his half-sister, and he was killed by his nephew who happened to also be his SON. I think that is enough to make anyone a bit batty. Oh, and he had to endured years with that crazy sorcerer.

CHARLEMAGNE
True. But, still one should be able to look back on those ‘battles’ and come back stronger than ever. Arthur suddenly looks at Charlemagne

ARTHUR
Suddenly becomes alert Hey, I heard that! Don’t think that because I have 'lost' it, that I can’t have it back. It took time to create the order of the Round Table. I brought them together. I loved Guenever and Merlyn. Merlyn, he taught me a lot; he even cared when no one else did. Guenever loved me, until Lancelot, but even then I could not hate her. As for Morgause and Mordred, can’t I guy make one mistake… fuming, his eyes were red rimmed and leaked anger. Sweat poured down his forehead.

Both looked at him. They were amazed.

BEOWULF
So, what are you going to do about it? eyes locked onto Arthur’s Huh?

ARTHUR
I’m going to challenge both of you to a duel.

BEOWULF/CHARLEMAGNE 
Grinning Ha! We got him.

The look in their eyes was sheer pleasure. Beowulf picked up Hrunting. It had been so long. He kissed his blade, as Charlemagne kissed, Joyuese, and Arthur Pendragon with the mighty Excaliber.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note: