Here, There be a Writer

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Top 10 Children's Stories

It's the "Day of the Doctor" and what am I choosing to blog about? Children stories! Yes, I am crazy. While I know I should put to paper (or put to word document) my thoughts about the 50th Anniversay of Dr. Who, I can't really see doing that until after I have watched "Adventures in Time and Space" and "The Day of the Doctor." Expect some new blogs in the coming week.

Today I am featuring my top 10 favourite stories from my childhood. These are stories that I grew up reading, or being read to at bedtime. In a conversation with my Dad this morning, we were discussing how I have taken taken care of my books, which turned into stories and my collection of storybooks. Now over the years my quite stellar and awesome book collection has changed and sometimes books in the said collection some tomes ended up going to new homes; but I have always kept those near and dear to my heart. Today I want to share the stories that are close to my heart. And...




In honour of the current Doctor's penchant for been a child and often acts like a regular Peter Pan, I present my top 10 Children's Books.

10. The Sweet and Sweet Gang books: These are a series of books written about the adventures of Sweet and Sweet gang. Not very complex story lines, but they are cute and the art that goes with them really makes the story. I had 6 of the original 8 books. They are oddly hard to find now-a-days.







9.  Fish is Fish by Leo Lionni: A simple story about a Fish and his wish to see
what the other side is like. Best line, "You were right. Fish is Fish."

8. Chicken Soup with Rice by Maurice Sendak: This one was always fun to recite, with the rhyming and the diction that would be required. Also a great way to learn the months of the year. "In June, I saw a charming group of roses droop. I peppered them with Chicken Soup..."







7. Corduroy by Don Freeman: What's more adorable than a Teddy Bear. A
teddy bear looking for his lost button. Enough said. Give you a nice perceptive of the toys. Like a early Toy Story.

6. The Mitten by Alvin Tresselt: This version of this story is the one I am most familiar with. What happens when a Mouse finds a Lost Mitten!









5. Round Robin by Jack Kent: Have you ever wondered what happens to the
birds on the travels south? You do now! Best line, "Hippity, Hoppety, Boppety, Bump!"

4. Tom and Jerry's Party by Steffi Fletcher: I think I read this book out as a child. The story of Tom and Jerry and their friends all having a party after hours. As a fan of the cartoon, I loved seeing duo actually having fun together.

3. Roland the Minstrel Pig by William Steig: A minstrel pig and his journey.


2. The Frances Books (Bread and Jam/Best Friends for Frances) by Russell and Lillian Hoban: The writer's of the popular story Emmet Otter's Jug Band. The stories of a young badger and her love of jam defies all logic!






1. Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile by Bernard Waber (and House on East 88th Street): A crocodile living in NYC! Do I need to say more? Best Line, "Swish, Swash, Splash Swoosh!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note: