Here, There be a Writer

Friday, February 9, 2018

Movie Review: Three Billboards outside of Ebbing, Missouri

I didn't really know much about this movie, except for the title.

I went in thinking that I was going to be seeing a story and I will react accordingly. When I arrived at the theatre I was surprised that the only other people watching Three Billboards with me were two older ladies who set in the back, while I sat in the front. Their reactions while we watched were worth the ticket price.

Dark comedies. Yeah, I am not used to them, but I was surprised by the storytelling and the acting. This is Sam Rockwell's movie. I won't get spoilery on you, Dear Readers. It's very much a mystery, but not in the normal sense. It's not a hunt for the clues and find the bad guy, but more like a fall into the pieces and happen upon the bad guy. That is kind of refreshing, when most movies put out there are almost too cookie cutter in plot and character development (or having lack of character development).

Sam Rockwell is solid as Jason Dixon, the asshole cop; Woody Harrelson gives a believable performance as Willoughby; and Frances McDormand is really good at being an angry woman. What is amount to are believable characters, who are terribly flawed and that is what is entertaining. Not once during this time did I feel uncomfortable and ready for the movie to be over. It is very engaging, if surprising by what they push the boundaries on.

"They can say that in a movie now?"

I remember thinking halfway through the movie. It's not a fluffy comedy, nor is it a boring drama. Three Billboard gets under your skin, crawls into your brain, and make you think. I like that. I like a story, movie, book, TV show that'll have you think, and even make you a little uncomfortable.

Standout actors Sam Rockwell and Peter Dinklage. Sam Rockwell does a lot with little to no dialogue at times and it really works. Peter Dinklage might have had a smaller part, but he owns that part.


It's a good thought experiment and what would you do in this situation. I have realized lately that if you picture yourself in a characters shoes, sometimes the choices you thought you would make are not what you end up making.

Three Billboards is definitely on my top 10 list for movies in 2017.

 What are your thoughts on Three Billboards, Dear Readers? Have you seen it? Will you see it? Leave me a comment below, and next time, my thoughts on the Sci-Fi/Suspense TV show, Black Mirror.

Jodi Whittacker in the episode "The Entire History of You."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note: