Here, There be a Writer

Friday, June 13, 2014

Reading Rainbow (soon to) Come Back!

Do you remember that opening synth, "Butterfly in the sky....I can go twice as high...take a look, its in a book... Reading Rainbow..."


I am sure countless of you, Dear Reader, are also familiar with this same theme song, full of eighties synth and that glorious voice and get excited for a trip into space, the microcosm of the germ world, life on the farm, or going to the library.  "Reading Rainbow" was a show that got kids into reading, into learning about new subjects, and it was a very intricate part of my youth.

I would watch the episodes and would soak up the information and stories. I discovered new worlds, new books, traveled beyond the confines of my little world. It was glorious. The books. I still remember many of the books that were read and featured on the show, which were often read by celebrities. There was "Knots on a Counting Rope", "Gift of the Sacred Dog", and "Bringing the Rain to Kapiti Plain", and that was just the beginning.

Pretty sure that I watched all of the episodes from the 1980's a couple dozen times, never truly getting bored with them. Heck, I even continued to watch into High School and even college. I just assumed that  "Reading Rainbow" just kept going, but alas in 2009 it went off the air. But, now there LeVar Burton, the host with best catch phase "I'll see you next time!" is rallying to bring it back. This time to the internet and hopefully free to thousands of children both in schools and at home. His Kickstarter Project is raising money to make it possible for future generations of children to be introduced to books and learning. There are still 18 days to pitch in to the Reading Rainbow Kickstarter.

Reading Rainbow was everything from literature to science to history to crafts, and so much more. There was always something magical (heck, there was a magic based episode). I remembered how the show never made learning feel like a chore. That is the most awesome thing about Reading Rainbow, that it's a show that doesn't try too hard to make kids enjoy learning, exploring their world, and opening up the door to imagination.

Tonight, Dear Readers, I want to show you my top 5 favourite Reading Rainbow segments. These are the segments/songs that make me feel like I am 10 years old and sitting down to watch Reading Rainbow.

5. It's Kermit and LeVar! What could be more awesome than that? Well, maybe the episode featuring the secret of Star Trek: The Next Generation, the Enterprise, and Worf.











4. How a book is made! They take you, the viewer through the process of writing, designing, and printing a book. Alas, I was not able to find a clip of this one. This might be the point when I first decided the I wanted to write books.

3. I get hungry just thinking about this segment.













2. Teamwork. This segment probably got my love of theatre germinating in my head. Although it took a while before I got of the courage to be on stage.











1. Full episode about Diners and "The Robbery at the Diamond Dog Diner" read by Peter Falk, making hand made pasta, especially tortellini, and Diner Talk.











So many good memories, Dear Readers! Do you remember "Reading Rainbow"? If so, what are your favourite episodes or segments? Favorite stories? Leave me a comment below with your fond memories of the show! I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note: