Here, There be a Writer

Monday, June 23, 2014

Animated Star Trek, Yes, it's real!!

You know what's Awesome? Animated Star Trek.

What's even more Awesome? Animated Star Trek made by the same company that made He-Man and She-Ra.

Animated Bridge Crew
Filmation, the studio that also made Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids, Flash Gordan: the Greatest Adventure of All, and of course He-Man and She-Ra. While not the best in animation, they certainly are memorable cartoons. I remember enjoying the sci-fi/fantasy element of He-Man and the highly fantasy based She-Ra. And you can see that She-Ra/He-Man scenery and form were inspired by Star Trek

Planet Phylos - Animated Star Trek
When I happened upon this animated rendition of "Star Trek", I was surprised and pleased. After having finished watching the 3 season of the original series. I do consider myself a trekkie. Having grown up with "The Next Generation" and "Deep Space Nine", yet I missed out of the original series in the many syndicated re-runs that ensued. It was something about not liking the stuff that my parents enjoyed, or thinking it was lame. Years later and a Netflix account, I found what they had already known, that Star Trek is cool, Vulcans are awesome, and the saying "Damn it Jim, I'm a Doctor not a Bricklayer" becomes common place. Admit it, you said that in Bones' voice, or "I'm giving her all I got, Captain" in Scotty's voice.
Brightmoon - She-Ra
What I loved about the original series was that the stories were actually well defined stories and of course the banter between Spock and Bones. So, I was excited to check out the animated series, which continues the 5 year mission in 24 minute episodes, which aired from 1973 to 1974. The stories were far shorter and faster paced, but they have a similar feel to the originals. They could do more with characters, aliens, and planet-scapes with an animated show. So, yes, they were silly, but creative and fun; they were a light and good hearted space adventure show.

Capt. Kirk and a Giant Tribble
Many of the episodes were written by a variety of writer ranging from D.C. Fontana, Walter Koenig (Chekhov), and Larry Niven [author of the Ringworld series] are the more prominent writers. The episodes are a nice way to wrap up the Enterprise 's adventures, before the movie adventures began. It's a shame that the animated stories only last 2 years, and the second season was only 6 episodes. Check out this nice reference site on the Animated Series. There are several characters and at least one planet that was brought back in new stories, including Cyrano Jones (The tribble seller), Harry Mudd, and the Pleasure Planet (the white rabbit episode).

It's a fun little show, and if any of you, Dear Readers like Star Trek or just like a good silly little show then I suggest you check it out. It might not be the best in animation quality, but the stories are fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note: