Here, There be a Writer

Sunday, June 2, 2013

It's hot and my brain won't work....

Why is it that when the weekend arrives there is all this potential time to be used and then it's Sunday
evening, and nothing was accomplished? Well, this weekend has been a tad hot and I can speak from experience that when hot happens, you don't. I am trying to NOT waste my time, but sometimes a lazy Saturday is what you get.

Sometimes you get a desert with tumbleweeds blowing across the western town of Gimbly Gulch where there is one Sheriff for the 5 people of Gimbly Gulch and the only person in jail is the town drunk, or that's and episode of "The Andy Griffiths Show".

Anyway, I have a number of projects that I am working on, and with this heat (it's only June 2nd right now) I can't seem to get motivated. I could be too motivated. I am feeling like I am like my one characters in the novel I wrote, Cindra, and actress that is having trouble keeping motivated. Wanna see a snippet?

I hope to get this revised enough to be able to get it published someday. It's a neat little story (a novel) about memories. I wrote it for NaNoWriMo 2011. I wasn't sure what the story was going to end up being about, but I really have a blast writing it, non-stop for a month. I missed last year because of a little show I directed last fall. I hope to write this year.



“Listen to me Cindra, you have to follow the directions as the director gives them,” an angry pudgy man yelled at her. His beady grey eyes staring at her, “It’s just that simple. Corwyn Michaels does not wait. You do realize that you could be pulled from this project!” The pudgy man was being serious, but still the spittle was foaming on his lips. We need to film this scene today if we want to be on schedule.” Cindra was staring at the pudgy man with quite the look of confusion on her face.

“I’m sorry,” Cindra said, rather absent-minded, “I didn’t realize we were behind.” She turned away from the pudgy man, “I just got caught up in the scene. I guess it reminded me of something and I over reacted it,” she paused, thinking.

The man was now getting a bit concerned, as Cindra was clearly not focused on the conversation anymore. He shook her shoulder and she blinked at turned to the pudgy man, “Sorry, Bernie. I will be right there,” she said as she turned to the mirror as she fixed a loose strand of hair.

Bernie said, trying to calm himself down, “Its okay, Cin, I just have to deal with Corwyn on a daily basis, and sometimes he is not the prettiest person to deal with,” a bit calmer now. “Five minutes and I want you in your place, okay?”

“Okay, Bernie.” Cindra took a few minutes to glance again in the mirror, staring at her reflection very intently. Then she left the dressing room still thinking about something. She thought that was a lucky break that nothing had caused her to lose her job on this picture. There are plenty of replacements out there; she wasn’t anyone special, “Maybe Next Year”, was her first lead. She must remember not to be dramatic, unless the movie called for it. There was something about this scene that felt too familiar to her. Not that she could place it, but there was something very real, that tugged on her heart strings.
  
~"Tale of Memories", Cynthia Scott

For those of you who don't know what NaNoWriMo is, it is National Novel Writing Month. In November writers come together and spent the entire month writing a novel (50,000 words in 30 days) and recording how many words they write (to track their progress). I should write about 1300 a day to reach the 50,000 goal in 30 days. It's quite the challenge, but there is something that is releasing about just writing, with no inhibitions. I was amazed by how well the plot and how the character development occurred. I have been told that when you write, just simply write with no preconceived notions about anything, it can be really liberating. It REALLY was! I kind of have the same philosophy about writing in general now. In just write and the rest just comes out. If I truly need a helping hand, I use Toasted Cheese Literary Journal for writing prompts and advise (they even have contests).

I know I have a few more months to wait for NaNoWriMo, but sometimes I gotta remind myself that these things are coming up. After all the summer, for me at least, gets busy pretty fast. I am stage managing a children's production of Tom Sawyer, performing Improv in Montour Falls, NY all summer, auditioning for "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" in Elmira, NY next week, and then there's all of the things I want to do over the summer (Renaissance Festival, Avon Flea Market, going to Rochester to visit people, maybe making it out to Hynnais, MA to visit friends (just to name a few). I don't sit still often! But when I do, it's on a hot muggy day...hehehe. 

Okay, all this aside I have a pretty full looking summer. Writing is still in the forefront. I just need my muse to wake up and have some coffee. And here's a little poem about lazy muses.


Staples and Popcorn



Here is the time
When I sit at my desk
And the words do not flow
Munching on popcorn
And clicking my stapler in time to the music.
The muse has since left me
Very much alone
With the internet at my fingers
And games to play.
There is work to be done
And I am here
Eating popcorn
And clicking my stapler.





Oh, and for those who read, I need a new poetry topic. I want to write a new sonnet and use a reader's topic, so submit a topic in the comments section or on my Here, There Be a Writer Facebook Page

Pictures used came from Morgue File.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note: