Here, There be a Writer

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Happy Birthday Peter Tork!

I was at work today. It was rather busy, as my boss was out sick, and the phone rang almost constantly. I didn't have too much extra time to think until towards the end of the day. Things that went to my head today: I might get closer to 40 hours this week; oh gosh, why did they play that sound right now, oh, I didn't take a lunch; is the day over; or it's Peter Tork's 71st birthday (from the radio)!

Yep, Peter Tork of the Monkees! The Tork-man is 71 today. He is still touring and making music, even  toured with the remaining Monkees last year. That made me smile. Peter was always know on the show as the dummy. There was a charm to the simpleness her portrayed, but when he sang "Shades of Grey" with Davy, I always melted. I guess I always wanted him to sing more. My friend, Amanda always joked about how Peter couldn't sing. I never thought that. Even with "Your Auntie Grizelda" (album version) which has to be one of the weirder songs out there, "Auntie's Municipal Court" (album version) takes first place (in my book). But, aside, there was something cute and catchy  about Grizelda. One can almost see an old bitty  while the song is being sung. It's definitely a guilty pleasure when it comes to the Monkees.

I have a number of favourite songs, ones that I play over and over. I am a Mickey girl all the way, but Peter holds a special place in my heart. When I got to see the Monkees in concert (Buffalo, NY), the little girl in me squeed so bad (that sounds like a bladder malfunction), "It's the Monkees and they are awesome!" Nothing could compare to seeing them play and sing live, from row C too!!! There was Mike singing "Papa Gene's Blues", "Sweet Young Thing", and "The Girl I Knew Somewhere", talk about epic.  There was Mickey wearing a tablecloth, a timpani,singing "Randy Souse Git". Oh, be still my beating heart or "I'm a Believer"! But, when Mr. Tork took the stage singing "Your Auntie Grizelda" I melted into a puddle of goo, warm and happy goo! He even dance and hammed it up during the number. It was great! He other big number(s) was "For Pete's Sake" and goes into "Early Morning Blues and Greens" (a Davy song).

Mr. Tork you are a marvel and thank you for your music...you made my day during that concert and made my day today (2/13/2013). Have a great birthday. Happy Birthday Peter! "I grow impatient...." ~pause~ "I grow daffodils..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note: