Here, There be a Writer

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Happy Birthday Ed Gorey!



This is Edward Gorey, probably one of my favourite illustrators ever, with his offbeat, dark, and random work. Some of his work includes "The Gashlycrumb Tinies", "The Epiplectic Bicycle", "The Doubtful Guest", and "The Utter Zoo."
 
“A is for Alice who fell down the stairs, B is for Basil assaulted by Beasr, C is for Clara  who wasted away, Dis for Desmond who fell out of a sleigh…”

The Gashlycrumb Tinies is a alphabet story about morose children and one I discovered in college upon the door of one of my English professors office door. At the time I knew very little about Ed Gorey, but have come to respect is weird and often surreal works, even if I don;t always get it.

He has published over 100 books. A writer and illustrator, Ed Gorey has illustrated for works like Dracula by Bram Stoker, The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells, and Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T. S. Eliot. He has become quite the icon over the years. He also drew this intro to the PBS series, Mystery! What would have been his 88th was on 2/22. 











 I want to share a bit of Ed’s work with you all. I even sketched a couple of his Urns from his Urn series that is featured in the anthology Amphigorey Also (1983).


1832
Vapours
 These are unfinished. I took the drawings by Mr. Gorey and duplicated them and was then going to adapt them with some of my own, both writing and drawing. I love the Victorian feeling to his art.



Happy Birthday Mr. Gorey! You are truly awesome in every sense of the word!!

I would love to visit the Ed Gorey museum someday, maybe this summer....Check out the website: The Ed Gorey House. Below are a few panels from another favourite, "The Utter Zoo".






No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note: