Here, There be a Writer

Monday, November 13, 2023

Writober Days 26 to the enddddddd

Day 26: Hole in the wall, sucking a man in (1, 2, 3, 4, 10, 10, 4, 3, 2, 1)

   Hole,

   Is there

   In the wall,

   It is just there,

   Right where I am standing for the subway.

   A breezes rushed up, pulling me towards the hole.

   I cannot stop it.

   A slow fall

   Into

    Hole.

 

Day 27: Face coming out the wall (Villanelle – aba / aba / aba / aba / aba / abaa)

 

    The wall has a tear

    The paint slowly peeling away,

     It is more than my mind can bear,

 

      But still I stare

     With my hands folded to pray,

     Yet I want nothing more than to tear.

 

      A quick movement, I swear

      I grab a corner that began to fray

      And tug a little on that square.

 

       A moment longer and I wouldn’t care

      Peeling the paint, dare I say

      Would hardly be a nightmare.

 

     As a pulled the paintm I am caught unaware

    With eyes staring at my way

    Caught in their glare.

 

    What do I dare,

    But to rush myself straightaway

    And in no time I will forswear

    The peeling paint affair.


Day 28: Weird Goblins riding Strange Creatures. 

            In the world after there was no sunlight, no daylight, only darklight. Most who lived after took to underground as food was scarce. Hunting parties were organized to leave the home cave to search for food and to protect against the child-like darkness trolls. These trolls steal what is left of our livestock food stores. They use our livestock to hunt us. You would be surprised how fast pigs and goats are when they are starved and hungered for flesh. 

             This is where we were after the first night in the cave. The darkness goblins were assembling, and we could hear them through the walls, calling with choking laughter. 

            “Do you think this sounds like a good enough story?” asked Shannon from her bed in the corner of the room. 

            “I don’t know, but they say, write what you know,” I said back from the other corner. The room was dim with only a small lamp to light the bedroom. The outside was dark. Laughter surrounded the room, and small scratchings against the wall. Shannon lit a small candle to make the room feel larger and keep the darkness as bay. 

 

Day 29: Ghost Train with Bug Legs.  

             It was late as I stood in the subway station. I was waiting for the 5C3 train bound for my neighbourhood. There were only a few others waiting with me: an older man reading a newspaper and a younger woman stretching after a run. ‘Why would someone be out for a run this late at run?’ I thought myself. 

            Glancing at my phone, the time showed 8:15 pm, but the station clock showed 8:12 pm. That wasn’t surprising, what was surprising was the station clock was ticking, loudly. 

            Tick! Tick! Tick! 

            I checked my message, Loni messaged me, ‘Dinner is here. Please try to get home soon.’  

           ‘At the train station atm. I messaged back. 

          No response.  

          The station clock now read 8:13 pm. Tick! Tick! Tick! They sounded faster. BING! A message, another from Loni. 

          ‘Hopefully your train will be on time.’ 

          “I hope it is too,” I said aloud. 

          “What is?” said the old man. 

          “Nothing,” I said. Tick! Tick! Tick! When I looked up, I saw a train pulling up. Its face resembled a skull, and it had legs instead of wheels. Tick! Tick! Tick! 

          “I guess I’ll wait a little longer,” I said. 


Day 30: Abandon Cabin with Tentacles, surrounded by Cats. 

          “Hurry up, Bobby,” called Jacob. “We have to get there before sundown.” 

           “Why?” called Bobby, pulling at the briars and thorny weeds that grew across the path. 

           “Because, after dark you don’t want to be there,” he said. 

            Bobby stepped over a log, “I don’t want to be there now,” he said. 

           “Almost there,” said Jacob and Bobby toppled over a large rock, falling into Jacob’s back. “Look!” he said, pointing ahead. 

           Bobby followed Jocab’s fingers line and saw an old house in a clearing. It was about twenty feet away. The roof was partially caved in, but the windows were intact. “See? Cool, huh?” asked Jacob. 

           “Uh, sure,” said Bobby, untangled himself from the weeds, “but why are there all those cats sitting around the house?” when Jacob turned back to the house there were about two dozen cats lounging in the clearing. There were cats of every colour: black, orange, white, tabby, tortoiseshell, grey... “Answer me that, Jake.” 

             “I don’t know,” he said. 

Suddenly a loud roar ripped through the air and the cats all stood up as one. The roar came from the house. Bobby started to back away, reaching for Jacob. 

             “We should go,” said Bobby. A Siamese cat stood next to Bobby, clear blue eyes looking straight at him. It pushed against his shins. “I get it, we should go.” the cat meowed in response. 

              RAWR!!! 

              Another roar echoed in the clearing as the cats marched closer to the house. “Jake! Let’s go!!!” Bobby saw something long and thin pushed through the collapsed roof and jut out toward the small feline army. The cat continued their trek towards the house. “We need to leave, Jake,” said Bobby and he pulled on Jacob’s arm. 


Day 31: Possession/Obsession 

              Here I am, alone on Halloween. I have the night off, but everyone else is busy with kids or handing out candy. I am here alone with an empty house. 

               Tick. Tick. Tick, goes the clock in the hall. 

               Click. Click. Click, goes the kitchen ceiling fan. 

               The TV is playing an older movie, but the sound is turned far down, some of the figures are just miming in the dark. Strange haunting figures lumber across the screen. I feel disconnected from the zombies in the movie as they are chasing a woman through a graveyard. 

               Tick. Tick. Tick, goes the clock. 

               My mouth opens and I say, ‘Tick. Tick. Tick,” though I don’t remember speaking the words. 

               Click. Click. Click, goes the ceiling fan. 

               Again I feel my mouth open, “Click. Click. Click,” I say, though I swear it wasn’t me speaking. I try to say anything else, but nothing comes out. I try reaching for the remote control to change the channel or turn off the TV, but my hand won’t move. 

              “UIhhhhh” I let out a small moan to the empty living room. My heart begins to race. It is the only thing I am aware of even though I cannot control it. My mouth begins to move, “Uhhhhh...” Panic set in, my hands won’t move, my wrist, my fingers won’t either. Nothing! 

              My eyelids flutter closed, making everything dark. There is no sounds, no light, no body. I sit... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note: