Here, There be a Writer

Saturday, October 9, 2021

OctPoWriMo 2021 (Days 1 through 8)

 It's that time again, Dear Readers.


It's funny to note the last time I posted to this blog was last year's OctPoWriMo. What a year (or two) it has been?!?! Sometimes I can't believe where I am now versus where I was, but here I am, still writing poetry. That part hasn't changed. It's just been a while and I don't always write everyday.


Dear Readers, so much has happened...

    I got married. Moved twice. Changed jobs. Discovered I have anxiety and possibly ADD (undiagnosed). Self-published two children books. Realized that I like shows like "Schitt's Creek" and "Letterkenny".  Lost a lot of faith in humanity, but still manage to function is society. (I usually prefer bullet points, but not today)


This post will be a long one. I have eight poems to post and a ninth one later tonight. I decided that this year I will try the recommended poetry type for each days poem, even if I don't like and struggle with the style. ~I am looking at you Villanelle~ There will be no edits to the poem, so they appear as I completed them, and hopefully no egregious spelling errors. #noapologies 


Day #1 Anticipate (Cascade)


Floral Anticipation


Is waiting,

Always the waiting--

There is no patience.


Spending the time

In the garden, wandering and 

Is waiting. 


Just the impatiens,

Full in bloom they are

Spending the time


Growing, swaying in the breeze,

Passing the time they are

Just the impatiens.

~~~~~~

Day #2 Expire (Tanka)


Expiration Date


Too much time has passed,

Waiting in the garden and 

Seeing the seasons,

They are changing, I am not.

Left wondering why don’t I.


~~~~~~~~

Day #3 Contemplation (free verse)


Song of the Procrastinator


When left alone,

I think.

Moire thinking,

Less accomplishment of my tasks.

You would think,

That with this time

All that can be done,

Is done.

Ha!

There is much to be said of contemplation

Of the task,

And the realization 

Of the procrastination.


~~~~~~~

Day #4 Cool Nights (Pantoum)


A Walk in Autumn


After the sun has gone down

The light hides away, making

Streets dark and unfriendly seeming,

A cool breeze, blowing.


The light hides away, making

Shadows fall long against

A cool breeze, blowing.

It is a cool night.


Shadows fall long against

The dying daylight,

It is a cool night,

The beginning of autumn.


The dying daylight,

Crisp, crunchy leaves and

The beginning of autumn

Is not scary,


Crisp, crunchy leaves and

Your favourite sweater

Is not scary, 

Just a sign that seasons change.


Your favourite sweater--

Streets dark and unfriendly seeming,

Just a sign that seasons change

After the sun has gone down.


~~~~~~~

Day #5 Path (Mirrored Refrain) x/a/B/A; x/b/A/B; ....


Remembered Path


If you walk this path;

Know that you walk alone,

Between the trees pass

With footsteps that hone.


Echoing against the trees;

You are the lone lass

With footsteps that hone,

Between the trees pass…


Remembrance of the past;

Memories that you have sown,

Between the trees pass

With footsteps that hone.


Giving the long forgotten gift;

Looking back into the glass

With footsteps that hone,

Between the trees pass... 


~~~~~

Day #6 Dream (Villanelle) a/b/a; a/b/a; a/b/a; a/b/a; a/b/a; a/b/a/a


Truth in Dreamland


Barely a glimpse caught

The barren and hidden trails,

You will only find it naught


Weaving between memories handwrought, 

Hearing the songs of nightingales

That has you distraught.


Thinking of the things forethought

And sadness comes of fails;

Your memory of the thought.


Only can this be an afterthought,

When travels upon Nod’s travails. 

Leaves me to unthought

The process begat to me in distraught,

I am only dreaming of sails

That has me here, brought


When I fell into the aforethought

Domain, Nod’s details.

My only chance , to find ought

That woke me from what I sought.


~~~~~~

Day #7 - Scales (Prose Poem)


Molt Prose


It is merely a covering of your skin,

More like your actual skin,

And if I pull it off, you will hurt.

It is not my way,

Little one, to hurt you, 

Yet I can see that your skin is peeling.

You are growing,

And out growing your skin,

Your scales.

They flake off,

Feel slowly to the floor,

Gathering in circles,

Like cairns to the ancestors.

This is normal.


~~~~~~~

Day #8 - Rainbow (Tanka) 5/7/5/7/7


Spectral Burst


After the rain falls

Between the misting rain drops

You can see light bend,

Stretching to be caught by eyes

In these colourful bursts.


~~~~~~~~

Please leave me a comment, question, or some love in the section. Thank you, Dear Readers!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note: